Tuesday 1 January 2013

HELLFIRE BEER LABEL BRIEF

We recently got set a brief to redesign the Label of Leeds Breweries Hellfire Pale Bitter for Leeds College of Arts Creative Network. I set myself this as a day brief. I researched into different beer labels to start with which gave me some inspiration. 

I ended up going with something quite obvious choosing the devil, but I thought it was something that would stand out and could allow for some interesting imagery. I have been quite interested in negative space recently so I wanted to try play with this. instantly thought of the faces and the cup image I had seen when I was younger.


I wanted to create a  bit of a spin on this design and use the devils face on either side. 
With a kind of holy goblet spin off Which is more like the goblet of fire!.

As it was for the creative network I decided to be creative and draw it by hand first to get an idea of how I wanted it to look. 


In order to get the shape right on illustrator I cut it out of a piece of paper folded in half then took a photo of it and downloaded onto the computer in order to trace the shape.




I tried scanning in my writing but it didn't work very well. I then started drawing the
face of the devils with the pen tool and mirroring the image.


I messed about with different colours to see what worked best I wanted to stick with the
fiery colours so played with red orange yellow and black. 


I thought the red black combo was probably the strongest.


After finally deciding to just stick with red, white and black I started adding the final details.


 It was quite difficult to narrow it down to a final design as I couldn't work out it 
I liked the black background more than the red



Final Design

I was happy with my final design. I think the label has a good shelf presence, it is bold and bright. It is different to other beers and has a very different illustration style to most beers which I feel represents the creative network. If I were to change anything it would be the text as I'm really not happy with it. This could of been altered if I had managed my time a bit better. It was a fun experience and I'm looking forward to trying out packaging design in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment