Friday 4 January 2013

ISTD MUTTON QUAD LOGO DEVELOPMENT

After thinking about how I wanted the restaurant to look and operate I turned my focus onto the branding of the restaurant itself. I decided to keep the name Mutton Quad as I had based my whole menu on food/type puns. So I started sketching a few ideas down. 



 I decided on this style in the end. I liked the idea of using negative space.
It makes you look twice at the logo I feel.


It also popped into my head that all the branded products should come in a
 letter press draw with each product in a different section. I think this will make a nice
touch to the branding as a whole, Hopefully it will tie in with the whole theme
I am going for. I will use the laser cutter to produce the box.


I decided to come up with some different place mates fot Mutton Quad
I think I like the cutting mat design best. This keeps with the theme the most
I feel and also is a nice touch to restaurant. Practical in both ways.


I also thought about how I could get information out during the meal and
thought the best way to do this would be to use beer mats, everyone picks them
up and reads them so In order to teach the customers about type I wanted to produce
a series of beer mats that have a selection of serif and sans serif fonts on.


I looked into designing some business cards too for the branding and came up
with several different designs experimenting with type and image.

Too Boring, doesn't comunicate the restaurant 

I decided I liked my negative space idea best
I think it looks fun and quite smart. 


I wanted to make the menu a bit like a letter press drawer too to keep the theme running.
I thought this would be a nice touch however I didn't like the brown natural colour scheme
very much.

 I took inspiration from this Restaurant logo I liked. I liked the colour scheme so 
decided to use it. The colours stimulate hunger.

Here are a few of the logos I came up with.
Although I like the white ones I just didn't think they stood out enough.
I decided to go with the top right which uses a combination of the Haymaker type
and also Rockwell. I also kept with the quad theme and used a square.


I tried to find different ways of making the type stand out with the colour scheme.
Here you can see the white backgrounds make it more legible.


Although I really liked this style after re-assessing I have decided it looks far too garish and
makes it hard to read the dishes.


Here is the front and back of the menu on the left and the menu on the right


 Here is the type reference book I have made to go with the menu

 Alternate back...decided against this. Too big
want it to be subtle from outside.


I have decided to go with this menu. Its much easier to read
and is simple and more stylish I feel. I still kept the feel
of the Letter press drawer too I hope. 


 I also came up with a range of business cards to go with the branding
I would use spot colours if printing proffesionaly to save on ink.
I would also emboss them to give a classy impression. The quality
of the printing has to represent the food.


I designed informational beer mats with different typefaces on
displaying the date they were created, who made them, and the type.


I also decided to make placemats that are cutting mats to keep with the 

Design studio theme,

If I had enough time I would set up a website for Mutton quad.
This is how I would want it too look. I kept it simple to give it that designer
feel to it. I would keep the website fairly simple with a section about the history
of the restaurant. I have gone with the theme that the restaurant was previously a type/design
studio. The site would also include helpful information on typography with also
pictures of the creative interior and also the menu itself.


The products on a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment