Wednesday 5 December 2012

DESIGN FOR PRINT BOOK - FINAL

After speaking to the lady in bookbinding down at vernon street she advised that the best way to put my book together would be to japanese stitch the book. In order to do this I trimmed my pages down to the right size then began my backing the front and back cover with buckram.


After glueing the fron and back cover I used the press to De-boss
the title onto the front cover. This took a couple of attempts as the first
time I applied too much pressure and the writing came through.


Inside Cover


Contents Page


Spot Colours


Foiling


De-bossing


Stock Examples


Colour Models


Screen Printing


Laser Cutting

Evaluation

Overall I am happy with how the book came out. I had to cut back some of the pages in the book due to a time issue but I dont think the book has suffered for it, its still 40+ pages covering various different topics to do with print. It looks at  preparing artwork, stock considerations, colour for print and lots of different processes which are available to use. I learnt lots about printing during this project. I learnt all about the different printing methods. I also learnt allot about stock through ordering samples online and testing them out. I managed replies from 3 of 15 companies I emailed  which is pretty rubbish, but at least I got a wide range of Stock.

Problems

I have had a few issues along the way with this project. At first I created the first 20 pages and didnt save it when my computer crashed so that set me back a week or so. Not something that I will do again.

I also had a problem with the final stages of the book. When it came to trimming the book down I managed to over trim on the top edge of the book. It hasn't really got rid of any of the information but it has spoilt the layout of the book a bit, but this is a learning process so this is another thing I will be careful with the next time I come to making a book.

During the final stages of putting the book together I de-bossed my first cover and applied too much pressure so the lettering went through to the over side. But I managed to get the 2nd one just right.

References


The majority of the text was taken from "The Production Manual" by Gavin Ambrose and Paul Harris. This was a valuable resource for this project. It explained things allot easier thatn allot of the stuff I found online.


No comments:

Post a Comment