Wednesday 19 October 2011

Design Principles Anatomy of Type

Stage 1

I had collected letters previously for my summer brief. I chose 5 upper case letters in different fonts and 5 lower case. I then scanned them in and re-sized them into 5 different sizes: XS = 1cm² S = 3cm² M = 5cm² L = 7cm² XL = 10cm².






Stage 2 

The next step was to dissect my letters and use the parts to create new versions of the letters. I used a scalpel and glue to make new letters.


 
Stage 3

Once I had made my new letters I traced over them creating a blocked colour version and an outlined one.

Stage 4

Once I had them traced out I scanned them into the computer and re-sized them back into the 5 sizes using Photoshop.



After learning a bit about typeface names I named my new fonts. The S font is called Dissected Block Bold.  The Q font is called Gothic Cutout Bold. The B font is called Mega Tail Serif Bold. The T font is called Roman Slab Bold. Finally the R font is called  Curly Script Regular.

Stage 5
This is the latest thing I have done with my letter forms. I chose my favourite letter and created its font family. Below you can see the image laid out in this formation:

light / light italic
regular / italic
Bold / Bold Italic
Ultra bold Condensed  
I found it was quite difficult to italicize the letter Q as it already has a diagonal, Its only a subtle change, I should of angled it further.

No comments:

Post a Comment