Tuesday 18 October 2011

ALPHABET SOUP Final Idea

Final Design

Here is my final Design for Sam, I chose to go with the more illustrative typeface. I am quite happy with the outcome, The lettering is very detailed and interesting to look at. I don't think the font says allot about Sam, as the answers I got from the questionnaire didn't really leave me much to play with so my solution to the brief was quite literal to the words I chose.

Here is the name badge I made for Sam. I think the letters work well together. They don't look out of place and all fit in series. The font looks good on a larger scale but I feel when shrunk down all the detail will be lost. This probably wouldn't work as a small font only on a larger scale.

 Here is the full alphabet including 6 glyphs. I based the typeface on Rockwell Bold. I printed out my layout then traced over the top making changes. I incorporated bones into the typeface also which changed the overall shape of the lettering. I am quite happy with the outcome The letters are interesting to look at and have plenty of detail.

There were a few letters that I wasn't too keen on. For instance the Q looks too bold round the edge, It kind of looks out of place , I think this is because the lines a drew were too close together. I'm not too keen on the W either.


 CRIT FEEDBACK

In my crit we stuck our work on the wall next to out partners and assessed each others work in terms of the brief. The feedback from the crit was mainly positive, everybody liked the typeface as a whole and understood the factors I was trying to include. However I found the font did not really represent Sam that well, although he would bring dinosaurs back and likes the idea of time travel it doesn't really say anything about him. I think if i were to do it again I would of looked into Sam's personal life a bit more to work out what he stands for. This has been a good learning experience though and I have learned to look deeper into things and to not always go with the obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment