Friday 1 March 2013

WINSTON CHURCHILL FLYER

As the campaign was aimed at school children aged 11-16 we decided the best way to target them would be through the schools. I remember always been bombarded with leaflets and hand outs at school, and the ones that stay in my mind are the ones that were engaging, wether it was a puzzle or something to cut out. These were the flyers that seemed to be the most interesting. So our idea was to have a promotional leaflet which outlines the competition and tells the children a little bit about churchill, and on the reverse side there would be a net(s) to cut out in order to make your very own 3D Winston. This will hopefully spark an interest amongst the kids and cause them to get involved with the competition. If they were gonna spend time cutting out the figure they will probably take a bit of time to ask there grandad about Churchill or even better get a snap of him if looks anything like winston and have the chance of winning a fabulous prize!


 I started out with quite a dull colour scheme but it looks quite old and dated which goes well with the theme really, I didn't want it to be too bright and over the top. This colour scheme was mainly for the figure. I incorporated additional colours in the flyer.

3D Winston


I drew the outline of Winston to start with, then from here I could add
colour and finish off the net. I copied one of his outfits from a picture.


Here is the colour version of Winston looking pretty dapper


I coloured in each section on illustrator and added arm and head slits.


When I originally created winston the net was spread across 3 A4 sheets, and was made up of 3 pain boxes and then the hat rim(s) and arms. When printed out winston was pretty big but there was no need really, and also I only really wanted to Use 1 A4 side to be honest otherwise these flyers for all the school kids would turn out to be packs of 3 flyers which would ened up being pretty costly to get out to everyone.


In order to fix my space dilema I scaled all the components down considerably and re-designed the net. Instead of having a body, head and hat all as separate boxes I decided to keep the body how it was and just extend the head into one long box effectively adding on the hat which got rid of a large net. I decided it would be easier to just create tabs on the 'hat rim' which can slot into the head. This design took up far less room and could all fit onto 1 A4 sheet which was a big success. I was quite lucky that the shapes of the nets are actually quite interesting and I think they work really well as a design. This was some what unintentional but I was quite fortunate that it has worked out like this.


Winston in all of his paper glory standing strong.

Flyer Ideas


I first decided to go with this question mark style design, But it took up far too much room on the page and didn't really allow for allot of play. I did like the image however so decided to stick with that. 


I decided to use quite a bright blue to grab the viewers attention. The contrast between the colours makes it really easy to read and also draws you in. Children are spurred on by the thought of a reward or treat, so I included a big prize stamp on the flyer to create that extra spark and interest amongst the young en's. I wanted to incorporate the 3D figure design in there too to kind of show them what it looks like together. The text on the flyer tells the kids a bit about Winston and also lets them know what the competition is about and where they can get involved. It also has a postal adress for those that can't get online or download the app.


For the Cut out side I tried to make it as clear as possible what they have to do to put him together, I have drawn on cut marks and made it clear where there needs to be slots cutting and also where tabs need to be stuck/slotted. I think this interactive aspect of the flyer will excite kids and make them want to get involved.

FINAL PRINT OUT



Here is the final print out of the flyer hand out, it has been printed on some fairly thick A4 stock but not too thick that it can't be cut out with ease. If I would of had more time I would of got it printed in the digital dungeon with james but there was no need really as it was just for a mock up.


After about half 15 minites of scalpel'in in away, winston was cut out and ready to be stuck together.
The card allowed the net to be folded easily whilst retaining its structure. The mini man could not of fitted together better and the end result is quite humorous and smart.



Up close



Winston Complete

No comments:

Post a Comment