Monday 9 April 2012

Type & Grid Revisited

I came across gap year magazine in the library. I scanned in the article and drew a grid on top digitally. I didn't think the layout was particularly interesting so I created many thumbnails of alternate layouts as you can see below. I printed out template grids to work on top of.


Type Measuring












Creating the article Digitally

 Using my thumbnails and grid I tried to recreate the article. I started with this 
layout but decided realistically there would not be enough room to fit in the article
so I decided to try a different method.
 Using Photoshop I edited the photos into the positions
I wanted.
 I then added the type. I was kind of going for a American 
flag reference with the stripes of text.
I thought the page was looking pretty boring so I added a
black background to the title and switched the type to white.
 Using my grid I added in the articles text.
 I experimented with colour to give it a more American feel
but it just looks tacky.

There was far too much type in the Summary paragraph so I 
decided to shorten it.

 Here is my finished Magazine spread.

Overall I am quite happy with the outcome. I think the body text
is too big however. When I printed the page out it didn't look quite right
I think it needs to be around 8 or 10 pt ideally. This has been a beneficial learning
process. I will apply this grid format to my work from now on
as it makes it very clear and easy to recreate the designs digitally.

No comments:

Post a Comment